In 2011, I started working with MA and then with PhD students in Russia. Some of the things we did together resulted in a paper or two, the others grew into big ongoing projects. Some of these projects are interconnected, the others are completely independent. In the absolute majority of cases, we work on Russian, doing corpus and experimental research. At the same time, I continue working on information structure, word order in Russian and syntax-prosody relations.

Bigger projects

Experimental studies of gender, number and case agreement
Together with Anton Malko (now a PhD student at UMD College Park), Natalia Cherepovskaia (now a PhD student at UPF Barcelona), Anna Stetsenko, as well as Elizaveta Reutova, Ekaterina Nikulina and Yulia Vakulenko. Current MA students involved: Pavel Shilin, Alexander Nozdrin.
In the last two decades, so-called agreement attraction errors received a lot of attention. Studies based on several languages focusing primarily on number agreement identified various syntactic, semantic and morphological factors affecting the frequency of such errors in production and different aspects of their processing. A classical English example is
The key to the cabinets are rusty. The verb are erroneously agrees not with the head of the subject NP key, but with an intervening noun cabinets. We complemented previous findings by new production and comprehension data on case, number and gender agreement in Russian. Russian is relatively rich in this respect (having six cases, three genders, several inflectional noun classes, curious syncretism patterns etc.), so we could raise many questions that have not been asked before.

Inflectional and derivational morphology in the mental lexicon


Part 1
During my BA/MA studies I worked in a project headed by Tatiana Chernigovskaya (St.Petersburg State University) and Kira Gor (University of Maryland). It aimed to study how Russian verb morphology is represented in the mental lexicon: how different forms are stored, produced and comprehended by different groups of speakers (adults and children, L2 learners, patients with language and cognitive deficits). I ran a couple of experiments and created a database of Russian verbs (an updated version is available
here). In 2011, I came back to study this topic using neurolinguistic methods. We ran an fMRI experiment with Maxim Kireev (Institute of the Human Brain, Russian Academy of Sciences, and St. Petersburg State University) and other coauthors. More experiments are under way.

Part 2
Together with Varvara Magomedova (now a PhD student at SUNY Stony Brook). Current MA students involved: Natalia Chuprasova, Anna Smetina. Non-student collaborator: Maria Kholodilova (Institute for Linguistic Studies, Russian Academy of Sciences).
We started by looking
at several paradigm leveling processes currently taking place in colloquial Russian and focused on the decay of consonant alternations in some verb classes, comparatives and derived nouns (diminutives). Now we went on to study other examples of variation in diminutives and augmentatives, primarily in their grammatical gender.

Part 3
Together with Anastasia Chuprina (now a PhD student at HSE Moscow) we studied how derived words influence lexical access to the base word.

Experimental studies based on orthographic neighborhood effects
Together with Svetlana Alexeeva (St.Petersburg State University). Current BA students involved: Anastasia Petrova.
We study some aspects of lexical access and reading mechanisms in experiments with so-called orthographic neighbors.

Databases for experimental research on Russian
Together with Svetlana Alexeeva and Daria Chernova (St.Petersburg State University), as well as Maria Samojlova.
We created a database and a web application
StimulStat, which includes more than 50 000 most frequent Russian words (> 1 900 000 word forms) characterized according to more than 50 properties that were demonstrated to play a role in linguistic and psychological research. Some data were taken from different sources (e.g. frequency, prosody, homonymy, polysemy, inflection type), the other properties were calculated specially for the database (e.g. detailed information on different types of word neighbors). We also collected a smaller database containing information about the frequency of different grammatical features and inflectional affixes of Russian nouns (available here).

Smaller projects
(or the projects where my contribution is smaller)
  • Individual variation in grammaticality judgments: the case of Russian pronouns (mostly by myself, some data collected by Anna Punchenko).
  • Some aspects of metaphor processing (together with Natalia Cherepovskaia, now a PhD student at UPF Barcelona).
  • A synchronic and diachronic study of the Wackernagel clitic zhe and a comparison of corpus and experimental methods in linguistics based on it (part of Evdokia Valova’s PhD project at HSE Moscow; dissertation defended in 2016). A continuation of the project looking at other enclitics with Daria Tamilina, a current BA student.
  • Modifier attachment ambiguity: what Russian has to add to the debate (part of Daria Chernova’s PhD project at St.Petersburg State University; dissertation defended in 2016).
  • Testing Possible Word Constraint in Russian (together with Anastasia Frolova and Svetlana Alexeeva).
  • Some aspects of parafoveal processing in reading (part of Svetlana Alexeeva’s PhD project at St.Petersburg State University).